Skip to main content

Crispy Orange Chicken


One of the ways we've tried to reduce our spending is by doing a lot less eating out. One of the things I really miss is Chinese food, so I've been looking for recipes to make at home.  I found Darlene B's Crispy Orange Chicken on the Taste of Home site. 

 

I haven't had any luck with the brands of popcorn chicken available at my store, they're usually mostly breading or uneven chunks that don't all bake up the same.  I prefer to buy the "Southern Style" chicken tenders and cut them into bite size pieces. 


I only made a few other very small changes.  Instead of the hot sauce I used crushed red pepper flakes, a nice big pinch. I also added a little bit of ginger powder. I'd prefer fresh ginger but my goal was to use pantry staples. 


I loved the natural sweetness of the carrots and the orange juice with the heat of the pepper flakes and warmth of the ginger. I served it over Jasmine rice.  It was even better than take out! Next up I plan on conquering another of my favorites to order, scallion pancakes!


Crispy Orange Chicken

Crispy Orange Chicken

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds southern style chicken strips (or make your own).
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
  • pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • Hot cooked rice

Instructions

  1. Bake chicken according to package directions. Cut into bite sized pieces.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  3. Add carrots; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
  4. Stir in orange zest, juice, hoisin sauce, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil.
  5. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 4-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
  6. Add chicken to skillet; toss to coat. Serve with rice.
orange, chicken,
Dinner, copycat, poultry
American

 

 



Comments

  1. Wow! Love this delicious and comforting flavors in this budget friendly meal!Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This orange chicken looks so good and I'm so excited because I have everything here at home to make it!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use prepared chicken strips as a shortcut for orange chicken. I bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the