Things have been crazy around here and I somehow managed to order 2 boxes of frozen garlic bread on my grocery pickup. I searched the Taste of Home site for ideas and the Garlic Toast Pizzas seemed like a great way to serve them up.
I made a few small changes. I used our usual spaghetti sauce since I had it on hand and then sprinkled it with Italian seasoning. The directions didn't specify whether to place the pepperoni on top of cheese or other way around, so I tried it both ways.
I added another sprinkle of Italian seasoning on top of pizzas before baking. Crushed red pepper flakes would be nice as well, if you like some heat. I ended up adding some on later on my plate.
The verdict was that with full size pepperoni pieces it was hard to eat with out a knife and fork. I definitely recommend using either mini pepperoni or cutting up the full size ones into quarters. It would also make it easier if you wanted to cut the pizzas up for appetizer sized portions.
Thank you so much to Amy G for sharing her recipe! These were awesome as an easy dinner or lunch, they'd be the hit of any game day spread. Awesome for both kids and adults too!
Garlic Toast Pizzas
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced regular or turkey pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2t Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place Texas toast in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 5 minutes.
- Spread toast with pizza sauce; top with pepperoni and cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes longer.