March is a tough weather month here in New England. We'll get a few nice days but overall we're stuck sitting watching other places flowers start to bloom and farmers markets open up. I combat that this buy baking lots of colorful, flavorful treats like Suzeanne L's Pineapple Upside Down Muffins.
They're done as minis on the site, but I made full size muffins and got 12. Since Greek yogurt is what I have on hand I used that. I didn't measure the brown sugar, just covered the tops. I put 3 cherry halves on each muffin because why not?
These are a fantastic way to get the taste of pineapple upside down cake in a portable form. Loved the super fluffy texture and the crunchy brown sugar topping.
They were great with coffee, in lunch boxes or as dessert. They are definitely going into my regular rotation!
Thanks so much to Stacy for hosting #MuffinMonday and to all the other awesome bloggers who
shared recipes today, be sure to go check out what they made using the links down below!
Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5.3oz vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 18 to 20 maraschino cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. Set pineapple aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil and reserved pineapple juice. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in reserved pineapple.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar; top with halved cherries.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Blueberry Granola Whole Wheat Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cashew Yogurt and Potato Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins ;from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pineapple Upside Down Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Sourdough Sweet Carrot Mini Muffins from Food Lust People Love