Skip to main content

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

October is Chili Cook-Off Month! We have delicious recipes from across the country to get your chili making to the next level of deliciousness!

 

It was an incredibly hot summer and I've been not so patiently waiting to make some fall comfort food and one of my favorites is chili! I picked up some butternut squash at the local farm and I found Joy P's Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili on the Taste of Home website.  

I made a few adjustments to the recipe, starting with swapping out the regular honey for some of my favorite Spicy Shark hot honey.  I also used "chili style" diced tomatoes, which are seasoned and low sodium black beans.

For the coffee I went with another of my favorites, Door County Coffee &Tea Co. Pumpkin Spice because I thought that it would compliment the squash and other flavors nicely.


I served it up with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, sour cream and some Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread donuts. It would also be great with buttery crackers or tortilla chips.

I'm going to be honest, I thought that I was going to have to add some meat to this to make it heartier, more chili like.  It's fantastic exactly as is, flavorful and packed full of textures.

Thanks so much to Ashley at Cheese Curd in Paradise for hosting the #ChiliCookOff, be sure to check out the links down below to see what the other bloggers are sharing today!

 

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (28 ounces) chili style diced tomatoes , undrained
  • 1/4 cup brewed coffee- I used Door County Coffee & Tea Co. Pumpkin Spice
  • 2 tablespoons Spicy Shark hot honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Optional toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapenos

Instructions

  1. In a nonstick Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and chopped onion. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes.
  2. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
  3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 30-35 minutes. Serve with toppings as desired.

Recommended Products:

Sweet potato, chili, meatless
Dinner, Lunch, Chili
American

 
 

 

Welcome to our 2022 Chili Cook-Off! 

#ChiliCookOff is an annual blogging event that is hosted by Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise




Comments

Perfect for a Meatless Mexican Monday.
Karen said…
Great for vegetarians!
I love the idea of adding brewed coffee into the pot for chili. This version sounds absolutely scrummy, and I want it!
Inger said…
I count my veggies and this healthy chili would make getting them all in so easy!
This looks so hearty and delicious! I love all the veggies!

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f