Today starts Christmas Cookies Week and I'm really excited to be bringing you three new to the blog recipes! It's a bit of a challenge to get into the spirit when it's 70 degrees and sunny in New England but some festive music and some gingerbread flavored coffee and I was ready to go!
We can't get enough gingerbread cookies around here. I try at least one new one a season and this year it's Steve F's Gingerbread Sandwich Trees from Taste of Home. I made absolutely no changes to the base cookie recipe and I used my homemade pumpkin pie spice mixture.
After the dough chilled I broke out my pastry mat. It makes rolling things out so much easier and contains the mess a whole lot better.
I used a cookie cutter that was approximately 3 1/4" by 3 3/4" and I got 48 cookies. The recipe states to put M&Ms on only half the cookies but I put them on all of them.
I still struggle with baking and my convection oven. The first tray of cookies I pulled out the M&Ms had all cracked. I lowered the temperature from 325 degrees to 300 degree and the next sheet was much better.
I did not tint the icing green, I left it white. You could also use the chocolate covered sunflower seeds in place of the M&Ms. They're great sandwiched with the frosting but they're yummy on their own too.
Thank you so much to Ellen from Family Around the Table for hosting #ChristmasCookies Week! Be sure to go and check out what the other bloggers are sharing by using the links down below!
Gingerbread Sandwich Trees
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- M&M's minis
- 3/4 cup vanilla or chocolate frosting
- Green food coloring, optional
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until easy to handle, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Gently press M&M's into half of the cookies. Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If using vanilla frosting, tint with green food coloring if desired. Spread frosting over bottoms of plain cookies; covered with decorated cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies Week! That time of year when we soften the butter, fire up the oven, and make cookie trays for family, friends, and neighbors. This year more than 20 top-notch bloggers are sharing their very favorite creations for all to make and enjoy. Join us for a week’s worth of Christmas cookie deliciousness.
- Bear Paw Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Best Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies by Magical Ingredients
- Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Toffee Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chocolate Mint Pizzelles by Blogghetti
- Christmas Light Sugar Cookies by Jen Around the World
- Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cream Cheese Cookies by That Recipe
- Devil's Food Thumbprint Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Double Ginger Oatmeal Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies by Christmas Tree Lane
- German Rum Balls by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Gingerbread Cookies by Hostess At Heart
- Gingerbread Sandwich Trees by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Holiday Double Decker Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Hot Chocolate Cookies by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Hot Cocoa Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Sweet Taralli by Shockingly Delicious
- Macadamia Mint Meltaway Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Merry Grinchmas Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- No-Bake Flourless Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Shortbread Pecan Bars Without Corn Syrup by Art of Natural Living
- Twix Cookie Bars by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Vanilla Crown Royal Cookies by An Affair from the Heart