Skip to main content

Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes


I've wanted to try fried green tomatoes ever since the movie came out in the 90s.   I've never seen them on a restaurant menu here in NH and I managed to miss out on trying them the few times I've traveled south.    While picking up corn at the farm, I noticed they had baskets of big beautiful green tomatoes too.   Score!   

I brought them home with me, and went searching for a recipe on the Taste of Home site.    I printed this one, and then my day got away from me.   The second day on the counter, my tomatoes weren't quite as green.   I sliced them up and slapped them in the freezer on some parchment in a single layer.    When they were solid, I put them in a ziptop bag.

Yesterday I had time to cook them up.   I defrosted them in the fridge, blotted them well and proceeded with the recipe.   Minor changes-  instead of garlic salt, I used Roasted Granulated Garlic.   I sprinkled kosher salt on the tomatoes after they were fried.   I sat and admired my finished tomatoes and thought, I have bacon and sourdough bread and lettuce!  


I assembled all of it into an amazing fried green tomato BLT.     I'm not a mayo fan, usually I use ranch.   I didn't bother with a sauce this time, I was too anxious to eat.  For the remaining tomatoes I think I'll do a riff on a remoulade using sour cream and Greek yogurt.  

So happy that I finally tried these!  I loved the crispy flavorful coating, the slightly tart bite of the tomato.    It worked perfectly with some salty, bacon, crisp cool lettuce and hearty bread.  Thanks so much to Gladys G for sharing this fantastic recipe!


Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes

Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield: 6
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 4 medium green tomatoes -- cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • Salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil -- (1/4 to 1/2)

Instructions

  1. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
  2. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
  3. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.

Notes

Source: "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zesty-fried-green-tomatoes" Recipe is no longer available on the website.

Green tomatoes, fried, BLT
Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Side dishes
American

 

 


Comments

This is definitely one of my favorite things about summer! And on a BLT...oh my gosh...absolute HEAVEN!!! These looks so crispy...and zesty...well I'm sure that puts them over the top!
Karen said…
I wish I could find green tomatoes! I had them in South Carolina and loved them. Saving your recipe.
Hezzi-D said…
WE get green tomatoes all summer long at the farmer's market! YUM!
I love fried green tomatoes and these look so good on a sandwich! Love the bit of red pepper. I always try to pull a couple of my plants before they turn red.
I've only had fried green tomatoes a few times but really enjoyed them. Would love to make them at home - and nobody else will touch them, so win for me! No sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f