Sunday, August 14, 2016

Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes- another first for me!

I've wanted to try fried green tomatoes ever since the movie came out in the 90s.   I've never seen them on a restaurant menu here in NH and I managed to miss out on trying them the few times I've traveled south.    While picking up corn at the farm, I noticed they had baskets of big beautiful green tomatoes too.   Score!   I brought them home with me, and went searching for a recipe on the Taste of Home site.    I printed this one, and then my day got away from me.   The second day on the counter, my tomatoes weren't quite as green.   I sliced them up and slapped them in the freezer on some parchment in a single layer.    When they were solid, I put them in a ziptop bag.

Yesterday I had time to cook them up.   I defrosted them in the fridge, blotted them well and proceeded with the recipe.   Minor changes-  instead of garlic salt, I used Roasted Granulated Garlic instead of the garlic salt.   I sprinkled kosher salt on the tomatoes after they were fried.   I sat and admired my finished tomatoes and thought, I have bacon! and sourdough bread and lettuce!   I assembled all of it into an amazing fried green tomato BLT.     I'm not a mayo fan, usually I use ranch.   I didn't bother with a sauce this time, I was too anxious to eat.  For the remaining tomatoes I think I'll do a riff on a remoulade using sour cream and greek yogurt.  

So happy that I finally tried these!  I loved the crispy flavorful coating, the slightly tart bite of the tomato.    It worked pefectly with some salty, bacon, crisp cool lettuce and hearty bread.  Thanks so much to Gladys G for sharing this fantastic recipe!



                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  4             medium  green tomatoes -- cut into 1/4-inch slices
                        Salt
  2                     eggs
     1/2           cup  cornmeal
     1/2           cup  grated Parmesan cheese
  3        tablespoons  all-purpose flour
     1/2      teaspoon  garlic salt
     1/2      teaspoon  ground ginger
     1/2      teaspoon  dried oregano
     1/8      teaspoon  crushed red pepper flakes
     1/4           cup  olive oil -- (1/4 to 1/2)

Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.

In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.

Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zesty-fried-green-tomatoes"




No comments:

Post a Comment