Saturday, December 3, 2016

Coconut Washboards- 12 Days of Cookies #ChristmasCookies

When I chose my recipes for the 12 Days of Cookies, I tried to find a variety of flavors.  Coconut was something I knew I wanted to include, so I searched the Taste of Home site and found these.    I loved how simple the ingredients were, things that almost every baker would have in their pantry.  I know I always seem to have a half a bag of coconut waiting to be made into something.    

I'm not a big fan of handling food, so while I made a few of these in the traditional washboard shape, I scooped the rest with a cookie scoop and then pressed them with a floured glass before making the marks with the fork.      Like many old fashioned cookies, these aren't overly sweet.   My son thought they needed a "little something", so I dipped them in melted chocolate and then sprinkled them with nonpareils.    Now I know exactly what recipe to pull out when I find that coconut in the baking cabinet!   Thanks so much to Tommie Sue S for sharing the recipe!


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Coconut Washboards


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/2           cup  butter -- softened
     1/2           cup  shortening
  2               cups  packed brown sugar
  2                     eggs
     1/4           cup  water
  1           teaspoon  vanilla extract
  4               cups  all-purpose flour
  1 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
     1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
     1/4      teaspoon  salt
  1                cup  flaked coconut

In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; flatten with fingers into 2-1/2-in. x 1-in. rectangles. Press lengthwise with a floured fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 9 dozen.

Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/coconut-washboards?trkid=FBPAGE_CC_20151122_CoconutCookies"




Welcome to the 12 Days of Cookies, hosted by Family Around the Table and Cooking With Carlee.  We will be filling the season with all kinds of delicious cookies.  Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on Facebook or Twitter by searching #ChristmasCookies.  We also have a 12 Days of Cookies Pinterest board where you can see all of the goodness!  May your holidays be sweet!

Day 3

Cranberry Orange Shortbread Bars with Orange Glaze from Family Around the Table
Graybeh from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Great Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies from Cooking With Carlee
 Coconut Washboards from Jolene's Recipe Journal

4 comments:

  1. I always have that bit of coconut left too. Now I know what to do with it! I'll bet the chocolate did take them to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with chocolate! :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea, dipping them in chocolate. Such a great flavor combo and it made these cookies so festive looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! just that little something to make them cookie-tray perfect :)

      Delete