I am a salted caramel fanatic. Coffee, candy, you name it. When I saw this recipe from Land O Lakes, I knew it was going on my holiday list. Super simple thumbprint base filled with a delicious homemade caramel.
My only change to this one was to use kosher salt instead of the sea salt, it's what I always keep on hand. I used a cookie scoop to get nice uniform cookies, and a Pampered Chef gadget, Mini Tart Shaper, to make the indentations.
Salted Caramel Thumbprints
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter -- softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sea salt (I used kosher)
- Combine 2/3 cup butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour; beat at low speed until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb or end of wooden spoon handle. (Edges may crack slightly). Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in whipping cream. Cool caramel mixture about 15 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture into center of each cooled cookie. Let caramel set about 5 minutes. Sprinkle tops of each cookie lightly with salt.
- Source: "http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/4288/salted-caramel-thumbprint-cookies?crlt.pid=camp.7yIerPB5MDK8"
Devil's Food Mini Chip Cookies from Family Around the Table
French Sables from Palatable Pastime
Kleicha (Iraqi Date Cookies) from Caroline's Cooking
Super Duper Chewy Milk Chocolate M&M Cookies from Cooking With Carlee
Pistachio and Apricot Oatmeal Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Rogaliki from A Day in the Life on The Farm
Salted Caramel Thumbprints from Jolene's Recipe Journal