Skip to main content

Honey Butter Peas and Carrots

We always have the same old side dishes, usually corn or green beans.   I had sent my husband to the store for carrots and he came home with a gigantic bag, so I went in search of a recipe to use them.   This recipe looked so colorful and perfect for Easter! To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of peas except the first of the year straight from the farm, but I had some in the freezer to use up.   


The recipe called for being made in the slow cooker and mine was otherwise occupied with ham.   It was simple enough to convert it to the stove top.  In a large saucepan of boiling water, I cooked the carrots until tender. I drained them and set them aside. 

I wiped the pan dry and then sauteed the onion and garlic in a teaspoon of butter.   I added the remaining butter, honey, salt, marjoram and pepper as well as the peas.   I cooked it over medium heat until the peas were cooked through.


I loved the not-too-sweet glaze and the marjoram, it's a spice I don't seem to use very often.   The whole dish came together pretty quickly, but next time I will try it in the slow cooker to compare textures/flavors.   Thanks so much to Theresa K for the recipe!

This week, thirteen bloggers are sharing 46 recipes and tips to help you serve up deliciousness this Easter.  Follow #EasterRecipes on social media to see what we're serving up!


Honey Butter Peas and Carrots

Honey Butter Peas and Carrots
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 1 pound carrots -- sliced
  • 1 large onion -- chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter -- cubed
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 4 garlic cloves -- minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 package frozen peas -- (16 ounces)

Instructions

Slow cooker method
  1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients plus 1/4 cup water. Cook, covered, on low 5 hours. Stir in peas. Cook, covered, on high 15-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Stove top method
  1. Fill a large saucepan 3/4 of the way with water. Bring to a boil. Cook the carrots until tender. Drain and set aside.
  2. Wipe the pan dry and then saute the onion and garlic in a teaspoon of butter.
  3. Add the remaining butter, honey, salt, marjoram and pepper and the peas. Cook over medium heat until the peas were cooked through.
peas, carrots, honey butter
Side dishes, vegetables, Easter
American


 

#EasterWeek Recipes

Wednesday


This post has been updated with new text, pinnable image and a printable recipe card.

Comments

  1. You know as much as you hear about things being great together like peas and carrots, I never actually think to put them together. I'll bet the honey butter is great on them too. I am definitely giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece loves the show "Super Why" and one of the characters tag lines is "Peas and carrots, carrots and peas, book come out. Please please please". It's all I hear in my head every time I think of this recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Love that there's honey butter on this classic combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake would eat just about anything if I put honey on it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's definitely going into the regular rotation!

      Delete
  4. Love this recipe! A keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight to the Family Favorites binder for this one!

      Delete
  5. I was looking for one more vegetable dish for Sunday and I think this will work perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love peas - never thought of adding honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son doesn't really like any sauces or dressings, even ketchup. But he does like honey! A little drizzle and he will give just about any veggie a try :)

      Delete
  7. This looks like the perfect side dish for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this combo! Plus, the peas stay nice and green with your adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always need new vegetable recipes and honey butter on these sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little sweet always enhances the flavor of carrots. Looks nice and Spring inspired with the peas added in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the