I struggle to come up with side dishes when the temps rise. The guys could eat corn every day, but I'm always looking for something different to try. I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website, among some other great "make ahead" salad recipes.
No major changes to this one- I had prepped veggies for another dish, so whatever form they were in, that's how I used them- my red onion was diced, my carrots were matchstick, etc.
The title says it all on this one- crisp, spicy. I'll also add light and refreshing. It was a great side to burgers, a perfect summer lunch topped with some grilled chicken. Thank you Alivia D. for sharing her recipe!
For even more ways to put your local veggies to good use, check out the links below. My to-make list is getting long, time to hit the farm again! #FarmersMarketWeek
Crisp & Spicy Cucumber Salad
- 2 small English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinkly sliced, optional
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon, optional cayenne pepper
- Optional toppings- minced fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts, additional sliced green onion
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix marinade ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Pour over vegetables; toss to combine.
- Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Top as desired.