Looking over the great selection sent to us by the sponsors, one thing immediately came to my mind- French Toast. I'd recently made a savory crusted grilled cheese, and a breakfast version sounded perfect. I love apples cooked until soft and caramel-y on the stove. It makes the house smell great, and it's delicious too. Using the oats on the outside gives it a wonderful crunch.
Thank you so much to Carlee for all of her hard work to make this such a great event! I've been counting down and looking forward to this year's for weeks
:) I have 5 great recipes to share, and in all, there are over 100
recipes! And the prize packages are out of this world. Be sure to
enter for a chance to win!
Oatmeal Crusted Apple Stuffed French Toast
- For Apple Filling
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 apples, medium, peeled, cored, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For French Toast
- 4 eggs, large
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices hearty bread, I used Farmhouse-style Oatmeal
- 1 packet Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal
- Real maple syrup or powdered sugar, optional
- Prepare filling: Over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples, and cook until softened, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until apples are softened, and carmelized. Set aside.
- For French Toast: Heat griddle to medium. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl. Beat well.
- Place oats into pie plate or shallow pan. Spread 1/4 cup apple filling over 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter on griddle, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Dip french toast sandwiches into egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides.
- Sprinkle both sides with the oats, pressing slightly. Place on griddle, and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Flip, and cook the other side, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Serve warm.
That looks sooooo good! We are off to a delicious start and I can't wait to see all of the #appleweek treats!ReplyDelete
Oh my gosh....I love the oatmeal crust on this french toast. It looks and sounds amazing.ReplyDelete
That oatmeal crust sounds SO intriguing. Thanks for sharing with #AppleWeek.ReplyDelete
Gosh this looks amazing! I love stuffed French toast. What great prizes too!ReplyDelete
oh mylanta.. this looks divine! I LOVE french toast! thanks for sharing it on our apple themed link party at Celebrate 365 blog party!ReplyDelete
Love this idea! My family loves French Toast but I don't make it as much as they'd like. I'll have to try this recipe soon.ReplyDelete
I've never thought to crust my own French toast (though I have had it crusted at a restaurant for brunch) and using oatmeal is a great idea!ReplyDelete