Here in the New England, we are anticipating a winter storm that's supposed to be a whopper. That means a good bit of time out in the cold, snow blowing and shoveling, and one of the things that makes that tolerable is knowing I can come inside to a nice warm bowl of soup.
I've really upped my soup game in the past two years. Basil Turkey, Italian Sausage Minestrone, Satisfying Tomato were some of our favorites. But chicken is the protein we eat the most, and I'm always looking for new ways to serve it up.
I found this recipe on the cards that are enclosed in my Taste of Home Special Delivery Winter box. I immediately put it in the to try pile because I had everything on hand except for the baby spinach. I made a changes, such as using chicken breast, low sodium broth, an orange pepper, and a can of mixed beans instead of just the kidney beans.
It doesn't really get much easier. Just a few minutes prep and then you can just walk away. You can easily swap the chicken for turkey, and use whatever veggies you have on hand. It's a great way to clean out the pantry and the refrigerator!
Thanks so much to Kate for hosting #SoupSwap and all of the other #FestiveFoodies for sharing their recipes! Be sure to go and see what they made using the links below.
Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can tri bean blend- kidney, pinto and black (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 can chicken broth (14-1/2 ounces), I prefer low sodium
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
How to cook Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in spinach; cook 30 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Top with cheese.
Chicken, comfort food, soup
Soup, dinner, lunch
Created using The Recipes Generator
National Soup Swap Day Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- French Onion Soup by The Redhead Baker
- German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
- Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
- Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy