Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and today I'm revisiting an old favorite, Frozen Lemon Berry Margaritas. I found Julie H's recipe in Taste of Home magazine years ago and have slowly adapted it to our liking.
Our version has a 16oz bag of frozen mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries) plus a 16oz bag of frozen whole strawberries. I only defrost the lemonade concentrate enough to get it out of the container and I use it all.
I make it first without the tequila and then pull out a serving for my son, and then add the tequila for my husband and myself. If it's not slushy enough, then I'll add in a few ice cubes. If it's too firm, then I add more tequila.
You can definitely use fresh in season berries too, but you want to pop them in the freezer in order to achieve that slushy consistency. This drink is perfect for sipping out on the patio while snacking on some Zippy Tortilla Chips and salsa. It also makes fantastic adult push pops!
Frozen Lemon Berry Margaritas
- 4 lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 12oz partially thawed lemonade concentrate
- 16oz frozen mixed berry blend (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- 16oz frozen whole strawberries
- 1/2 cup tequila
- Ice cubes as needed to reach desired consistency
- Using lime wedges, moisten the rims of four margarita or cocktail glasses. Set aside limes for garnish. Sprinkle coarse sugar on a plate; hold each glass upside down and dip rim into sugar. Set aside. Discard remaining sugar on plate.
- In a blender, combine the lemonade concentrate, frozen berries and tequila. Cover and process until smooth. Add ice if necessary.
- Pour into prepared glasses. Garnish with reserved limes.