Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly
looking for ways to put a new spin on them. Since one of my favorite
summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original
recipe with strawberry extract.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek! I received
product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own.
I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like. I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.
They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.
You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream. If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an
airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag
in the fridge.
You can also place them down inside ramekins and let them cool there for perfect little edible bowls. If you don't have ramekins, you can use a muffin tin.
Drop in a scoop of ice cream, then add your favorite toppings and serve immediately. Some melted strawberry jam or chocolate sauce is delicious!
Thank you so much to Angie for hosting Summer Dessert Week! Be sure to check out all of the awesome recipes being shared and don't forget to enter for a chance to win prizes from our generous sponsors Dixie Crystals and Circulon down below!
- For the pizzelle:
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Strawberry Extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Vanilla buttercream (optional)
- 1/2c butter, softened
- 4 1/2c Dixie Crystals confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate Sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, if desired
- Beat eggs, adding sugar gradually. Beat until smooth. Add cooled, melted margarine and vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder, add to egg mixture. Mix until smooth. The batter will be sticky, but can be dropped onto iron by spoonful.
- Heat pizzelle iron and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Carefully using a butter knife, move the pizzelle to cooling racks or double layers of paper towels. Continue with the rest of the batter.
- Remove pizzelle from iron and wrap around a dowel or cannoli form. Let cool seam side down.
- Make the butter cream. In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Pipe buttercream frosting into the fauxnoli tubes. Dip ends into chocolate chips or sprinkles. Serve immediately.
Welcome to this year's #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
You're going to be in for treat this year because we have 28
blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We're
sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and
you'll find some of the links in this post as well.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Strawberry Banana Sorbet from Big Bear’s Wife
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizzas from Semi Homemade Recipes
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Cookies from Eat Move Make
Ursula Blackberry Yogurt Mousse Cake from Simply Inspired Meals
Strawberry Upside Down Cake from It’s Shanaka
Margarita Bundt Cake from Fake Ginger
Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies from Blogghetti
Grape Jello Pie from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Lime Raspberry Hand Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Summertime Blue Apple Pie from For the Love of Food
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Peach Poke Cake from Our Good Life
S’mores Mug Cake from Family Around the Table
White Chocolate Peach Crumb Bars from Sweet Beginnings
Strawberry Pizzelles from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Hocus Pocus Buns from Savory Experiments
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from Devour Dinner
Small Batch Emergency Air Fryer Brownies from Shockingly Delicious
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars from Books n’ Cooks
Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake from SugarYums
Crescent Roll Peach Dumplings from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Rum Raisin Brownies from Food Hunter's Guide to Cuisine
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Shortbread from Pastry Chef Online
Drumstick Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAs
Sheet Pan No Bake Banana Split Cheesecake from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Comfortably Domestic
Baltimore Strawberry Pie from Cookaholic Wife
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.