Very happy to be joining the Muffin Monday bakers again this month! I had some leftover buttermilk from another recipe so I searched the Taste of Home site and found Robert L's Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins.
The only changes I made to the recipe was to add a bit of vanilla and cinnamon to the batter and also to sprinkle raw sugar on top of the muffins before baking. I filled mine a little higher than the recipe calls for and got 11 muffins.
These are fantastic as is but you can change them up so many ways! Add some blueberries or strawberries, chocolate or cinnamon chips. They're great for breakfast, with your mid morning coffee, or as a lunchbox treat.
Thank you so much to Stacy from Food Lust People Love for hosting #MuffinMonday! Be sure to check out the links down below for all of the other great recipes being shared this month!
Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Raw sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Heat oven to 400º.
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in egg, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into oat mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with raw sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 400° until muffins test done, 16-18 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
*********************************Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Apple Zucchini Muffins
- Jolene's Recipe Journal: Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins
- Food Lust People Love: Cane Syrup Banana Muffins
- Zesty South Indian Kitchen: Prickly Pear Muffins
- Palatable Pastime: Sage Stuffing Muffins
- Magical Ingredients: Whole Wheat Apple Butter and Apple Cider Tea Muffins
- Karen's Kitchen Stories: Whole Wheat Sunflower Seed Muffins
What a gorgeous color these are, Jolene! Bet they taste even better than they look.ReplyDelete
Anytime a recipe calls for buttermilk, I always have some left over. What a great way to use it up! Love the sugar on top too.ReplyDelete
I have some leftover buttermilk in my fridge right now. Thanks Jolene.ReplyDelete
That is beautiful muffin. Buttermilk and oatmeal adds excellent texture of muffin.ReplyDelete
This is awesome. Love the simple and tasty muffin with sugar on top! Yum!ReplyDelete