October is National Cookbook Month! I know that there are a lot of digital ways to get recipes out there nowadays, but I still love the feeling of sitting with a cookbook and paging through to find new dishes to try.
This Chickpea Tortilla Soup by Julie P. has been tempting me from the cover of Taste of Home's One Pot Favorites for months and since we've been in a nice cool stretch of weather I put it on the menu.
There's over 500 dutch oven, sheet pan, instant pot and slow cooker recipes included, and as you can see by the sticky notes, I've got a bunch more I can't wait to try!
The key to this one is prep work. I worked from front to back of the cutting board, chopping the onion and tomatoes, then the jalapenos. I minced the garlic onto the board and then measured out the corn. When it came time to add things to the pot a simple sweep of the knife was all it took.
I had picked up an avocado as a topper but it went from not ripe to overripe by the time I got the soup on the menu. Instead I used some crumbled tortilla chips, a few squeezes of fresh lime juice, and some more diced jalapeno. If you had leftover cooked chicken that would be great tossed in too.
Chickpea Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro (I used parsley)
- Optional ingredients: Crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado, lime wedges and additional chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the red onion, garlic, jalapeno if desired, and pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, beans, tomatoes, corn and cilantro; heat through.
- If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
- Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chickpea-tortilla-soup/
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Betty Crocker Blueberrry Muffins by Art of Natural Liviing
- BBQ Chicken Tortilla Wraps by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by An Affair from the Heart
- Chickpea Tortilla Soup by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Crepes by That Recipe
- Joanna Gaines Chocolate Chip Cookies by Jen Around the World
- French Classics Made Easy: Savory Stuffed Crepes by Our Good Life
- German Chocolate Cookies by Blogghetti
- Helga's Meatballs by Palatable Pastime
- Lima Beans with Bacon and Mustard by Food Lust People Love
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins by Family Around the Table
- Vegan Green Loobia Polo by Magical Ingredients
- Wild Rice and Onion Bread by Karen's Kitchen Stories