This month is just flying by but I'm excited to be joining the #MuffinMonday bakers again! I had a grocery pickup list mishap and ended up with two containers of sour cream so went searching on the Taste of Home site for recipes and found these Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins.
I liked that it called for melted butter instead of softened because the temps have been crazy and it's too easy for me to miss the "softened" window and end up at the "liquified" point.
Instead of the full size chocolate chips I went with mini semi sweet chocolate chips. You could use any kind of chips you like, actually, mint, dark, cinnamon, they'd all work. Mini M&Ms would be awesome too.
I pulled out a few tablespoons of the flour mixture and tossed them with the mini chips in a small bowl. That's a trick I learned from my Gram to keep things from sinking to the bottom of baked goods.
Normally I sprinkle the tops of muffins with some raw sugar but for these I threw on some additional mini chips. I like people to know instantly what kind of muffins they are.
These were a big hit here and they'll be great in mini size for lunchbox treats. Thanks so much to Stacy for hosting #MuffinMonday and to all the other awesome bloggers who shared recipes today, be sure to go check out what they made using the links down below!
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mint or semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Hot Cross Bun Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Peanut Butter Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel from Food Lust People Love
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Sourdough Strawberry Chocolate Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen