Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rosettes-a childhood memory on a plate

(originally made 12/2010)

When I was a kid, Christmas afternoon was spent with my dad's side of the family, and I remember a house bursting at the seams and tables full of goodies that my grandmother and aunts put together.     Pizzelles, rosettes, bowties, totos, little tarts filled with lemon or chocolate.   They are all gone now, and for years I've wanted to make some of those things I remember.   I picked up a rosette iron about 5 years ago, but have always been too busy doing baking orders to give them a try.   This year I decided to not do orders, and have been pretty excited about baking things I actually WANT to bake   :)


Once you get into a rhythm, these go real fast.   I did them in a high sided saucepan with a candy thermometer, but next time I may try the electric skillet to help regulate the temp easier.   I don't have a lot of counter space, so I set up a table with 2 baking racks lined with paper towels.    Jake wanted to help, so he was put on powdered sugar duty   :)

My iron is on the smaller side, and I got about 5 dozen rosettes.   I think.    The guys were eating them as fast as I was making them for a while!    About 3/4 of the way through I finally got to taste one, and they were exactly like I remember, crisp but they melt in your mouth.  So good.  


Rosettes

 Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2                     eggs
  1                cup  milk
  1           teaspoon  sugar
     1/4      teaspoon  salt
  1                cup  all-purpose flour
                        Oil -- for deep-frying
                        Confectioners' sugar

In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Add flour; beat until smooth. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat 2-1/2 in. of oil to 375'. Place rosette iron in hot oil for 30 seconds. Blot iron on paper towels, then dip iron in batter to three-fourths the way up the sides (do not let batter run over top of iron). Immediately place in hot oil; loosen rosette with fork and remove iron. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack covered with paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Source:
  "Taste of Home Magazine (December/January 2005)"

Yield:
  "2 1/2 dozen"

No comments:

Post a Comment