I made a mistake right off the top, which was to buy light corn syrup instead of dark. I was assured that the color may be off, but they'll still be delicious. I used a brand new candy thermometer, but since it was my first try, I also used the water test.
The guys taste-tested while I started wrapping. They told me to not waste my time wrapping, they were going to eat them right out of the pan. After the intial frenzy, I took some of the caramel and spread it on shortbread cookies, sandwiched it between pretzels, and then coated them with melted chocolate. Both were big hits.
Thank you so much to Marcie W. for sharing her recipe! For even more awesome #Halloween recipes, check out what the rest of the #FestiveFoodies are sharing today by using the links below.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to cook
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil slowly for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
Created using The Recipes Generator
- All Hallow's Eve Orange Cake by Family Around the Table
- All Eyes on You Pumpkin Peanut Cake Balls by Our Good Life
- Candy Calzones by Palatable Pastime
- Creamy Caramels by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Eyeball Buckeyes by Big Bear’s Wife
- Ghosts in the Graveyard Trifle by Cooking with Carlee
- Ghoul Fudge by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Halloween Layer Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Mummy Dogs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mini Mummy Meatloaves by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pickled Brains by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrunken Head Punch by Kate’s Recipe Box