I'm going to admit up front, I am terrible with recipes that require cutting butter in. I used to use my trusty food processor, but it broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I read a tip about grating the butter to make it easier, so I gave it a shot with these. Worked like a charm!
I was a little overenthusiastic with my beating of the eggs/lemon mixture, and when I poured it into the pan, it had lots of little air bubbles on top. Some deflated when I added the coconut, some didn't. It had absolutely no effect on the taste, which is the perfect balance of sweet and tart. The directions don't say how you know they are done, but a general rule of thumb is that it should not jiggle when you gently shake the pan.
Be sure to stop by and see what the other #BakingBloggers are serving up with month by using the links down below. Thanks so much to Sue for hosting our virtual tea party!
Lemon Coconut Squares
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in the butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and baking powder until combined. Pour over crust; sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Baking for a Tea Party
- Bacon and Scallion Mini Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Tartlets by Food Lust People Love
- Choco Orange Brownies by Sneha's Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Flour Cookies (Gluten Free) by Cook with Renu
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamsicle Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Fast and Easy Petit Fours by Our Good Life
- Lemon Coconut Squares by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Mickey Birthday Cake Scones by Simply Inspired Meals
- Millionaire's Shortbread (Caramel Shortbread) by Caroline's Cooking
- Napolitaines (Mauritian Sandwich Cookies) by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Ploughman's Scones with Ham Filling by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Southern Cheese Spread Tea Party Biscuits by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Victoria Sponge Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife