Today is the last day of #SummerDessertWeek for me, and I'm sharing my version of an Oreo Ice Cream Cake. Both my son and husband have nut allergies so I've never been able to buy store bought ice cream cakes.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek! I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own.
I had a Pillsbury Funfetti Oreo cake mix in the cupboard and I thought it would be fun to use it as a base. I mixed it according to the package directions and then baked it in the awesome springform pan that Circulon generously sent to us for this event.
It cracked a bit on the top, but no big deal, I split it into two layers and crumbled the top one up anyway. I mixed those crumbs with some Oreos I ran through the food processor and set them aside.
I gave the pan a quick wash (it's super easy to clean!) and dried it off. I laid a piece of parchment on the bottom disk, placed the ring back on and closed it up. I spread in some softened vanilla ice cream and topped it with some of the cake crumble/Oreo crumb mixture.
That went into the freezer for 2 hours or so, until it was solid. Then I topped that with some softened chocolate ice cream. Back into the freezer again, this time for 4 hours.
At this point, things went a bit sideways. Above mentioned guys felt the need to go in and out of the freezer repeatedly despite the sign saying not to, so when I pulled the cake out to do some whipped cream decorations, they all slid right off. It wasn't pretty.
I quickly grabbed the rest of the crumb mixture, patted it all over the sides and then quickly stuck the cake back into the freezer. I left it there overnight, hoping that after coffee in the morning things would go more smoothly.
Another round of decorating with whipped cream failed, so I added the last of the crumbs to the sides, re-smoothed the top and then quickly made a pretty pattern with some Oreos. Back into the freezer it went.
I pulled it out to slice it and I had warm water that I dipped my serrated knife into then wiped dry. That made nice clean cuts. For some reason the chocolate ice cream seemed meltier than the vanilla, but I assure you that it's absolutely delicious despite it's appearance!
Despite the challenges with this one I really enjoyed #SummerDessertWeek and I hope you have too. Huge thanks to Angie for hosting, to all the other bloggers for their awesome recipes, and to our sponsors, Dixie Crystals and Circulon! Make sure to go and enter the giveaway down below!
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Pillsbury Funfetti Oreo Cake Mix(15.25 oz) plus ingredients to make cake
- 8 Double Stuff Oreos, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 quarts Vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 1/2 quarts Chocolate Ice Cream
- Heat oven to 350º Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into 9" springform pan. Bake 25 to 30 mins or until a toothpick near the center tests clean.
- Move to a wire rack to cool. Turn cake out after 10 mins and let cool completely. Split into two layers. Move one to the serving platter, crumble the other half into a bowl.
- Pulse 8 Double Stuff Oreos in the food processor to make crumbs. Combine the cake crumbles with the Oreos crumbs.
- Soften vanilla ice cream. Place a sheet of parchment on top of springform bottom, add ring and close.
- Spread ice cream in pan, top with half of the Oreo/cake crumble mixture. Place in freezer until solid, about 2 hours to 4 hours.
- Soften chocolate ice cream. Remove pan from freezer and spread ice cream on top. Return to freezer until solid, 2 to 4 hours.
- Remove pan from freezer. Remove the outer ring. Press remaining cake crumbles around the edge, decorate top with Oreos if desired. Return to freezer for about an hour.
- Peel off parchment and place on top of Oreo cake layer on serving platter. Return to freezer until it's time to serve.
- To slice- Allow to soften for 5 to 10 mins. Dip serrated knife in hot water, wipe it off and then make a cut. Repeat. Serve immediately.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad from Big Bear’s Wife
Copycat Orange Julius from Semi Homemade Recipes
No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake from Eat Move Make
Birthday Crumb Cake from It’s Shanaka
Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake from Fake Ginger
Blueberry Muffin Cake from Blogghetti
Lemon Cheesecake Mousse from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
No Churn Mint Chocolate Ice Cream from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Strawberry Unicorn Puppy Chow from For the Love of Food
Brown Sugar Layer Cake with Peach Filling from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Smore's Ice Cream Torte from Family Around the Table
Strawberry Basil Cupcakes from Sweet Beginnings
Oreo Ice Cream Cake from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Donut Bread Pudding from Savory Experiments
Flourless Chocolate Cake from Devour Dinner
Rhubarb Crumble from Shockingly Delicious
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake from SugarYums
Raspberry Cream Pie from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Instant Pot Twix Cheesecake from Baking up Memories
Lavender Honey Cake from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Dip from Sweet ReciPEAs
No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake from Comfortably Domestic
Peach Berry Eton Mess from Cookaholic Wife
Welcome to this year's #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You're going to be in for treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We're sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you'll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set - Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.