Another month has flown by and it's #MuffinMonday again! I love participating in this group because muffins are always a hit here and it allows me to creatively use some of my pantry ingredients.
This time around I had apples and bananas. A quick
search of the Taste of Home site turned up Alice M's Banana Apple Muffins. I doubled the ingredients from the original recipe. I used quick cooking oats because that's what I usually have on hand.
I also increased the amount of cinnamon and allspice and added some vanilla extract to the batter. I sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar before baking because we like the crunch and sweetness it adds.
I made a dozen full size muffins and also made mini muffins.
They may look plain but the apple and banana come through perfectly. I like them split and then griddled on a hot
pan with a little butter. The minis make great lunch box treats for my guys.
Thank you so much to Stacy from Food Lust People Love for hosting #MuffinMonday! Be sure to check out the links down below for all of the other great recipes being shared this month!
Banana Apple Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated peeled tart apple (I didn't peel it)
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- Turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, vanilla, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in apple and banana.
- Fill greased muffin cups about three-fourths full.
- Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Apple Pie Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Banana Apple Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pear Almond Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Pumpkin, Pecan, and Cinnamon Chip Muffins from Magical Ingredients
I always seem to have overripe bananas in the freezer and apples in my refrigerator so these are a very real possibility for our house soon.ReplyDelete
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! My next batch I'm thinking about adding some mini cinnamon chips!Delete
Adding the sugar on the top makes your muffins shine, Jolene! What a delicious combo!ReplyDelete
I like the addition of sugar in the muffins . Looks delicious.ReplyDelete
Looks divine! love the flavor profile! Oats and apples are always my combo and this is just right for me. Delicious muffins!ReplyDelete
Oooh, griddling muffins? That sounds amazing! I always learn something new when I stop by!ReplyDelete