While choosing recipes for this event I searched the Taste of Home site for the vegetables my guys will eat and one of them is corn. Up popped Melinda M's Cape Cod Corn Pudding. I'm from New England but have never heard of corn pudding but thought I'd give it a try.
I did make a few changes. Both of my guys are picky about onion so instead of fresh I used minced dried. It reconstituted nicely in the melting butter but was still in fairly small pieces.
The recipe also calls for less cheese. I bought a 2 cup package of Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar, used 3/4 of the bag in the pudding itself and then topped it with the remaining 1/4 packages. I do not have an 11x7, so I baked mine in a 13x9.
Thanks so much to Heather from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks for hosting #HolidaySideDishes Week and to all of the other bloggers for sharing their awesome recipes! Check them out using the links down below!
Cape Cod Corn Pudding
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 cups frozen corn (about 24 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar (I used Cabot Vermont Sharp), divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, optional, I used purple basil as garnish.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add corn and onion; cook and stir about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, ricotta cheese, cornmeal, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in 2/3 of the bag of cheddar cheese, corn mixture and, if desired, basil.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, until set, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Here’s more Side Dish recipes:
- Balsamic-Honey Roasted Beets & Carrots from Sweet Beginnings
- Butternut Squash Casserole from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Cape Cod Corn Pudding from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Creamy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Duchess Potatoes from Family Around the Table
- Easy Parmesan Noodles from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes from Devour Dinner
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Make Ahead Dinner Rolls from Cookaholic Wife
- Maple Dijon Brussels Sprouts from Palatable Pastime
- Orrechiette with Butternut Squash from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Parmesan Butternut Squash Gratin from Jen Around the World
- Potatoes & Peas from An Affair from the Heart
- Quick and Easy Green Beans and Bacon Skillet from Blogghetti
- Vegan Pumpkin Coconut Cornbread from Magical Ingredients
I like the addition of ricotta to this version of corn pudding. Going to give it a try.ReplyDelete
I love the addition of the fresh basil and the extra creaminess from the ricotta! It is much richer than my usual corn side dish!ReplyDelete
The basil in this sounds wonderful!ReplyDelete
What a great corn pudding! It's different than Nana's. I can't wait to try it.ReplyDelete