I hope you're enjoying #HolidaySideDishes Week as much as I am! Rice has been one of my go-to sides for a while and I'm always looking for new ways to change it up. I found this Roasted Squash and Rice Salad on the Taste of Home website and tweaked it a bit.
First off, I used delicata squash, unpeeled, because that's what I grabbed at the farm this week. I also swapped out the pine nuts for pepitas. I did use the fresh parsley but omitted the dill because I'm just not a fan.
This is a great side dish, but it also made a fantastic dinner with some cooked cubed chicken mixed in. Thanks so much to Delores D for sharing her recipe! Be sure to go and check out what the other participants are making using the links down below!
Roasted Squash and Rice Salad
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium delicata squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill (omitted)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, oil and salt. Add squash; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased, foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine red peppers, pine nuts, green onions, dill, parsley, squash and rice.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Here are more Side Dish recipes:
- 1 Hour Soft and Buttery Dinner Rolls from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Apple Stuffing Muffin Cups from Blogghetti
- Braised Red Cabbage with Cranberry and Juniper from Palatable Pastime
- Carrot Peanut Slaw from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Creamy Kale and Corn from Magical Ingredients
- Garlic Parmesan Green Beans from Cookaholic Wife
- Mashed Potato Gratin from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon & Chives from Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Pecans, and Cranberries from Jen Around the World
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Rice Salad from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Roasted Carrots with Carrot-Top Pesto from Kate's Recipe Box
- Skillet Corn from Devour Dinner
- Whole Roasted Squash from Art of Natural Living