When I went searching for this month's Muffin Monday recipe I narrowed it down to something with cherries. February is #NationalCherryMonth and we are big fans here.
I found these Cherry Vanilla Muffins on the Taste of Home website in a mini version. I decided to do them as full size muffins instead.
I used vanilla Greek yogurt instead of regular, it's what I keep on hand. I held back a tiny bit of the flour and tossed the cut cherries with it to prevent them from sinking.
I used a muffin scoop to distribute the batter evenly and I got exactly 12 muffins.. I sprinkled the tops with some turbinado sugar before baking.
The guys didn't even wait for these to cool before digging in. I liked the crunchy sugar top but they'd also be great with a drizzle of vanilla glaze.
Thanks so much to Stacy for hosting #MuffinMonday and to all the other amazing bloggers who
shared recipes today, be sure to go check out what they made using the links down below!
Cherry Vanilla Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, yogurt, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cherries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar if desired.
- Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
I have never understood why someone (who even?) chose February as National Cherry Month. If I can find them in my nearby grocery store right now, they are too expensive! The price only drops to a more reasonable level as we get closer to summertime. Your muffins using maraschino cherries look wonderful though, Jolene, and I CAN afford those!ReplyDelete
Right? And today is strawberry day... We won't see strawberries here til mid June ...Delete
They look delicious Jolene. Great choice of cherries for this month's national holiday.ReplyDelete
They would be perfect for Valentine's or Independence day too with that gorgeous red color.ReplyDelete
Ooh la lah...I might need to play around with this recipe for a future Muffin Monday! They are stunning!ReplyDelete